GrassROOTS Community Foundation (GCF) is a public health and social action organization. Our mission is to create a world where all girls grow up to be healthy women. Using social science and public health research, GrassROOTS develops place-based community wellness programs and initiatives for women and girls, particularly those who represent vulnerable populations; we do so because these individuals and their communities often bear the burdens of health and economic challenges. In practice, we train and develop women and girls to become healthy, confident community members who use their healthy energies to transform themselves, their families, and communities.
We operate programs across the United States, but primarily in Essex County, NJ; City of Philadelphia, PA; and Memphis, TN.
We primarily serve as an incubator of ideas. Our goal is to develop and evaluate ideas about how to maximize individual and community wellness. Our programs are specifically designed to be low cost yet have high impact. As a learning organization, we collect information so that we can consistently reassess our efforts.
Roots, Rock, Run 5k Training and Race
We are seeking a Fellow who can help advance our annual public health initiative, Roots, Rock, Run 5k Training and Race, assist with our SuperGirls leadership programs and aid us with our fundraising efforts.
The Fellow will work closely with our leadership program: SuperGirls Society (SGS) and SuperCamp. In 2108, we celebrate our eighth year of Super Camp! Super Camp is the intensive leadership camp for girls of African ancestry. It is the summer training portion of the SuperGirls Society leadership program. The Camp provides girls with confidence grounded in a sense of history and cultural understanding. At SuperCamp, girls learn basic literacy in mathematics, science, history, and reading through a cultural lens.
The program fellow serves as Co-Director of 2018 Super Camp in New Jersey. In this role, the Fellow will be responsible for executing portions of the camp curriculum, managing overall program operations and budget as well as overseeing the junior wellness assistants. The Fellow works closely with the GCF President to provide high quality care for the 20-25 SuperGirls.
Primary roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as one of the primary representatives of the GrassROOTS Community Foundation
- Serve as a proxy for GCF President when she is unavailable
- Oversee and manage daily program operations
- Conduct hiring, supervision and performance review process of interns and other program staff
- Recruit partners, supporters and investors
- Manage budgets
- Be intentionally anti-racist
- Be social media savvy
- Skilled presenter
- Knowledgeable/proficient at Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Skilled, licensed, safe and insured driver
- Active learner
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution.’
- A demonstrated passion for working with young urban youth and belief in GCF’s mission
- Extensive leadership experience and previous experience developing or managing community programs
- Deep and well-informed knowledge of African and African American history
- Superlative planning, organizational and writing skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders (Church, parents, campers, staffers)
- A strong commitment to personal health. Physically active.
- At least 3 years working in an educational setting
- Respect for confidentiality and punctuality
- Highly creative
- GCF will require a criminal background check, child abuse clearance, CPR certification and may require a drug screen for this position.
- GCF will require signed confidentiality agreement.
|Hours:||10:00 – 3:00 daily
Three flex hours daily
|Compensation:||Competitive/commensurate with experience and training.|
Former or current teachers welcomed
Individuals seeking to transition into philanthropy
GCF is an equal opportunity employer (EEO/AA/M/F/D/V).
Fellowship is renewable annually for no greater than 3 years.
Please submit cover letter and resume to info@
- 1.College and Graduate Student Training and Internships
- 2.Program Fellow
- 3.SuperCamp Philly Program Director