Since 2014, GrassROOTS board members, celebrity ambassadors, and partners have participated in a friendly online competition to see who can provide more healthy meals for families.
The pandemic has created unprecedented challenges for families, especially those with children and the elderly. This year, like last year, we have witnessed an increase in food needs. Though we strongly advocate for policy responses to issues of food insecurity, we will continue to attend to emergency needs that arises over the holiday season.
We have committed to providing healthy meals for community members living in Newark, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Atlanta, Georgia.
Each $25 that you donate will provide community members with a turkey, 5lbs of fresh fruit and vegetables along with some of the fixings.
WAYS OF GIVING:
1. Choose your team
Aja Graydon-Dantzler, Kindred the Family Soul
Lisa Maxwell, Mastercard
Tia Briggs-Sawyer, Uzima Dance Fitness
Dr. Janice Johnson Dias, John Jay College
2. Donate directly at to our general Give Thanks via PayPal
It’s our 10th year. And we are again engaged in our annual Give Thanks Turkey Challenge where we provide a turkey, 5lbs of fruits and vegetables and healthy shelf stable fixings as emergency care for the holidays. The urgency to support families in need has expanded due to the economic impact of the global pandemic.
Our goal this year is to raise $25,000 to support hundreds of families experiencing hardship with healthy holiday meals ($25 = a healthy holiday meal for one family).
We know that pandemic has exacerbated financial challenges for families. Therefore, our annual #GiveThanks Turkey challenge will look different. We will not engage in our usual friendly battle via social media. We respect all families and know that everyone is facing constraints in resources. But we know some of you like the fun; therefore, we have left you that option to still choose your team.
Funds raised will go to for families at:
· QLS Gardens in Southeast Atlanta
· Georgia King Village, Newark, NJ
· Essex County, New Jersey
1. NEWARK NJ – our giving will go to students at Central High School and residents of Georgia King Village (GKV) located in the West Ward of Newark. GKV is a housing development in Newark, and home to a significant number of single, black mothers and their children. Almost 30 percent of Newark’s residents live below the US poverty threshold and 1 in 5 residents of Essex County are food insecure. In previous years we have partnered with the City of Newark and the Believe in Newark Foundation to expand our giving and provide for 6000 Newark families in need.
2. ATLANTA GA – our giving will go to residents in Southwest Atlanta at the QLS Gardens and Haven. Residents of this community are a part of HUD’s Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly program or Section 8 housing. This area has been challenged by poverty and violence. In the past six months this area has experienced multiple incidents of aggravated assaults, and auto thefts. The Black Rose Foundation will lead this effort, in association with GrassROOTS.
3. ESSEX COUNTY-On November 21st, GrassROOTS and St. Matthew AME will be hosting a Day Of Giving open to all residents of Essex County. Individuals and families can drive or walk up to get a turkey, fresh fruit and vegetables and menstrual supplies.
To date, GrassROOTS has gifted the community 12,000 turkeys and 1000 pounds of fruit and vegetables. We have also donated more than 50,000 sanitary napkins to students in the US and around the globe.
GIVE THANKS Corporate Sponsor Opportunities
- Brand mention and logo on all pre and post-event press and recaps.
- Brand/Logo on step and repeat and all printed materials
- Opportunity to include products in gift bags
Diamond Sponsorship- $15,000
Allows GrassROOTS to provide all below:
- Meals for 300 families
- Send 4 SuperGirls to Ghana to support girls’ education
Platinum Sponsorship- $10,000
Allows GrassROOTS to provide all below:
- Meals for 200 families
- Full scholarship for 4 girls to attend SuperCamp, our summer leadership camp
- Family strengthening program for mothers of children
Gold Sponsorship- $5,000
- Meals for 100 families
- Allows GrassROOTS to provide all below:
- Full scholarship for 3 girls to attend SuperCamp, our summer leadership camp
Since 2010, GrassROOTS has been providing necessary resources for families in need. This year, GrassROOTS will host #GiveThanks Turkey Giveaway events in Newark, New Jersey and Atlanta, Georgia.
Our New Jersey giving will go to residents of Newark. This includes students at Central High School and residents of Georgia King Village (GKV) in the West Ward of Newark.
Board member Mona Scott-Young will lead the charge to support her second home, the City of Atlanta. She, along with the GCF leadership team and community partner, The Black Rose Foundation will be serving families and elders in need in Southwest Atlanta at the QLS Gardens and Haven.
Our goal is to provide healthy meals for families in need. Our celebrity supporters, board members and staff compete head to head to sell as many turkeys as we can. $25 provides a family with a holiday meal, which includes a 20lb turkey and 5lbs of organic fruits and vegetables. Multiply that $25 by any number and multiply the number of families you feed.
We will not engage in our usual friendly battle via social media. But we know some of you like the fun of choosing who they support; therefore, we have left you with that option to still choose your team.
In 2013, for our initial Turkey Drive, we partnered with Girl Scout Troop #40724 for the turkey drive. Each turkey is labeled with an inspirational “love tag” (a message of hope and goodwill).
Over the past eight years we have partnered with:
- City of Newark
- Matthew’s AME Church
- Speedway Academies
- New Jersey State Gardens
- Lisa Morgan and Bloomfield Track Team
In 2020, we have added a new team member and a long-time GrassROOTS partner. Welcome Tia Sawyer-Briggs, CEO of Uzima Dance Fitness! Tia has collaborated with us in serving families in and around the Newark community. We are grateful for her commitment to girls and all our community members.
We are also once again working with St. Matthew AME (SMAME), one of our most long-standing partners. SMAME was the location of the our SuperCamp for several years and we continue to work together to support the community.
Organizer: GrassROOTS Community Foundation