SuperCamp is a family-based camp for girls of African descent. Our camp is based on psychological theories that recognize the relationship between positive racial and social identity development for children’s well-being. As a supplement to children’s educational experience, we focus on areas of African and African American history not typically included in standard school curricula. SuperGirls explore and learn the histories of cultural icons and heroes that reflect their own biographies. Additionally, we recognize the value of cultivating healthy bodies and a creative spirit. To foster artistic development and expression, youth participate in daily fitness including running, Tai Chi and yoga. They also take dancing and acting classes. The success of each camper depends on the support of her caregiving circle. To ensure that each camper reaches her goals, each camper and her caregiving circle completes a family assessment, which is used as the basis for their developmental plan and as the measurement tool to evaluate success. Each camp ends with a final performance where youth showcase what they have learned over the course of the camp.
The Episcopal Church of St. Andrew & Holy Communion
160 W. South Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079
July 11 – August 5
- Elementary School (5th-8th grade)
- African ancestry
- At least one parent identifies as Black
- Lives in Essex County, New Jersey
Application closes 4-2-16
Financial aid application
Please download PDF application HERE, fill it out and mail it to:
Attention: Lisa Maxwell
59 Main Street
West Orange, NJ 07052
Financial aid applications due by 4-12-16
If eligible, we may award aid up to 75% of tuition. Financial aid awards will be notified by 5-25-16.
Interviews: 4-11-16 to 4-29-16
Some applicants will be invited for face-to-face interviews. A GrassROOTS Team member, a SuperCamp family member as well members of the Girls’ Council, and an independent Super Camp Supporter conduct interviews. The committee submits their recommendations to the President for approval.
5-1-16 with financial aid award
Must notify us of participation by
Total Tuition: $1600
Deposit: $200 due by 5-30-16
- Non-Refundable Deposit: $200 must be received by GrassROOTS by no later than 5-30-16, 5:00p.m. Eastern Time. If payment is not received, you forfeit your acceptance to camp and your financial aid. Wait listed applicants will be eligible for the forfeited spot, no exceptions.
- Balance of Payment: The remaining balance is due to GrassROOTS no later than 6-15-16, 5:00p.m. Eastern Time. If final payment is not received, you forfeit your acceptance to camp and wait listed applicants will be eligible for the forfeited spot, no exceptions.
Note: Admission into SuperCamp is the beginning of a reciprocal relationship. Beginning in 2016, applicants who are admitted into the Camp must also agree to participate in a minimum of two Super Camp fundraisers and community engagement events. This reciprocal relationship is the cornerstone of our ability to provide aid. Please note, if you miss the financial aid application deadline, you will not be eligible to receive aid, no exceptions.