- This event has passed.
Marley Dias and Mona Scott-Young host GrassROOTS Give Thanks Benefit Gala
November 19, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Join The GrassROOTS Community Foundation, and co-host Mona Scott-Young (CEO, Monami Entertainment) and Marley Dias (Founder of #1000BlackGirlBooks) on November 19th for our annual Give Thanks Benefit Gala. Orange Lawn Tennis Club in South Orange, New Jersey from 7-11pm. For tickets: http://givethanksgala.eventbrite.com.
The purpose of the Give Thanks Benefit Gala is to raise funds to support our work in New Jersey. As a social action and public health organization, we provide health and wellness programs for women, girls and community members so they can achieve and maintain high levels of well-being.
To date, GrassROOTS has donated over 500 turkeys and 300 pounds of fruits and vegetables to families in need. We have also provided:
Family Support Work
- Implemented 60 hours of the ROOTS Family Strengthening Program for low income mothers and children
- Launched The Invisible Woman’s Project where we have trained mothers who live in shelters to photograph and tell their stories
- Donated over 100 toys for holidays to elementary school children at Speedway Academies, located in the West Ward of Newark adjacent to Bradley Court, a high crime housing development
- Trained 200 individuals to complete their first #RootsRockRun5k
- Led 4 town hall and community conversations
- #24HoursofPeace, offered blood pressure screenings and stress reduction techniques to residents who live in high crime areas
- #WellnessWednesdays offers 600 hours of free community wellness activities
Capacity Building Support
- Collaborated with 50 community service organizations and programs,including City of Newark, to improve their work
- Provided mini-grants to area churches and community programs in East Orange, Orange and Newark
Youth Social Action and Leadership Work
- SuperGirls Society trained 40 girls to become youth leaders and girl changemakers through the following programs:
- SuperCamp Scholarship Fund has granted $75,000 in scholarships to local youth
- #MathWizGames held free STEM (science, technology, engineering & mathematics) games for girls
- #1000BlackGirlBooks collected 8000 books and donated 1500 books to local schools and libraries
- #RoomForChange program decorated and redesigned rooms at the YMCA for unaccompanied minors
- #FullCourtDress collected and donated winter coats, hats and scarves for homeless youth